Sunday, February 24, 2008

Saba brunch, late lunch

Saba
1451 Oxford Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307-1046
404.377.7786
  • Food: 4
  • Service: 4.5
  • Ambiance: 4
Check it out! atlanta vegan got a digital camera, thanks to Broadcast Atlanta!

This weekend, I decided to head over to a spot I've liked for a long time: Saba. It's been awhile since I last enjoyed this casual little joint in the Emory area. Because the head chef is vegan friendly, there are a lot of options on the menu. It's mainly a pasta place, but they also serve soups, salads, and sandwiches–and they do a vegan brunch!

On Saturday, I went to brunch with my paramour Craig; he had been fulfilling his role as rock star the night before and was not feeling in top form. Luckily, we got our food quick because at noon on a Saturday, the place wasn't too crowded to get a table immediately. He got the Tofu Scramble, a bargain at around $6. It comes with three sides, and Craig got a biscuit, home fries, and some soysage patties. I got the vegan French Toast, which comes with one side, and is a little pricier, but I think it's well worth it.

We asked if the soysage patties are vegan, because a lot of restaurants use Morningstar Farms products, which usually at least have egg whites in them. They said the patties were vegetarian, not vegan. The patties were, nonetheless, delicious. Join me in celebrating restaurant honesty; it is all too needed and all too rare.

The tofu scramble was well-seasoned tofu with savory broccoli and peppers. However, it's been changed since we last had brunch; the tofu used to be only marinated, but now it's deep fried. So, it's probably not the best choice for the health-conscious, but Craig assured me it was perfect for satisfying a hangover. The vegan biscuit was passable; it somehow managed to be simultaneously dense and crumbly, but the flavorful vegan gravy made up for it.

Saba's vegan home fries might be the best in the city. These babies are slightly crispy, creamy, and well-seasoned. Everything I want on a Saturday morn. And they've never failed me. Ever.

And let's be honest: most vegan-friendly restaurants wouldn't even attempt a vegan French Toast. It's bread dipped in egg! And as we all know, there's just not a lot in nature that has similar "eggy" qualities. Saba not only tries, they rock it. The thick hearty slices of bread are cinnamony without a hint of the tofu flavor that plagues so many creamy vegan adventures. Makes you wonder how they do it. Probably magic. To take it over the top, they brought a serving of Earth Balance margarine! Ab fab.

Of course, I forgot to take pictures of our brunch. To make up for it, I went back the next day for a late lunch. Saba offers vegans a lot of options in the dinner arena: they usually have two vegan soups, there's a vegan panini, and there are four vegan sauces to have served over spaghetti. I'm talking your basic marinara and a spicy marinara, but I'm also talking a vegan vindaloo sauce and a Thai peanut sauce. I ordered a side salad and my favorite pasta dish: the vegan vindaloo spaghetti with tofu and cilantro pesto. It sounds crazy, but it's an odd couple that works exceptionally well most days. Unfortunately, this particular time was disappointing. The noodles were overcooked and the fried tofu that usually compliments the Indian-inspired sauce was far too salty for my taste. I hope this experience was a fluke, and I will note that in the year or more that I've been eating at Saba, this is the only time it's been dissatisfying. On an upnote, the mixed greens side salad was delicious with a house-made orange-balsamic vinaigrette.

The ambiance is pleasant and not too fancy; fresh flowers on the tables, vaguely rustic decor, and friendly, knowledgeable staff make for a comfortable meal. And because Saba serves omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans, you won't have to work too hard to convince your omnivore friends to try it. Here at atlanta vegan, we salute the easy choices. And I hear a second location will soon appear on the Decatur Square.

Have you been to Saba? Tell atlanta vegan about your experience!

Vegan Vindaloo with Tofu and Cilantro Pesto











Mixed Greens Side Salad with Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 comment:

Jared said...

saba does indeed do it right on the vegan vindaloo...mmmmmm.