Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bad News on the InTown Thai Front

Hello again, dear reader--

It's been far too long, I know. And sadly, I come to you today with really poor news.

The Tenth Thai Restaurant (formerly Sbydee)
  • Food: 1.0
  • Service: 2.5
  • Ambiance: 4.0
I hadn't even reviewed Sbydee yet. It was an adorable Thai place on 10th street, and I had the fullest of intention to do so. I've taken extended members of my family there, and it was always a really wonderful experience. I wanted to share this lovely little place with you...I guess it was simply too beautiful.

I went last week with some friends, and there my troubles began.

We found the name changed (now it's "The Tenth" Thai Restaurant and Lounge). The exterior of the building has been painted with truly hideous murals of palm trees.
The owner claims the menu hasn't changed, but they got rid of the vegetable entree section. And the menu is definitely less informative than it was before...but it has got some classy lamination on it and there are lots of WaHo-style pictures now.

My fair gentleman and I tried to order the same two dishes that we regularly order: The spicy basil noodle (Pad Kee Mow) and the Green Curry. We asked for both of these dishes with no fish sauce, no oyster sauce, no shrimp paste, and no animal products whatsoever.

Of course the noodle dish came filled with egg. Now, in the interest of fullest honesty, I didn't say "no egg." However, the menu said other noodle dishes had egg, while crucially omitting that ingredient from the Pad Kee Mow's description. Deceiver. And I had specifically said "no animal products." The servers are super friendly, but they got this all wrong.

Well. The boy wonder courageously decides not to send it back and eats it anyway, throwing all vegan Thai hopes to the reckless wind.

As far as the green curry, it is still apparently vegan, but it's not very good anymore. The green curry at Sbydee was delicately spiced, aromatic, crafted with a light touch. It was the kind of dish that made you realize how important the sense of smell can be. However, at the Tenth, the green curry is overspiced and heavy-handed. Tofu that used to be creamy and silky is now over-fried, tough, and flavorless.

Oh, the sorrow.

This isn't the first time an Atlanta restaurant has gone downhill, as we all know. Have you had this experience somewhere else? Got any good memories of Sbydee? Chime in!

No comments: